Legislative Changes

Legislative Changes

Changes to RSA And RCG Training and Licences (Responsible Service of Alcohol and Responsible Conduct of Gambling)

On 22nd August 2011 the NSW Government Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing changed the regulations for the issue of licences to people who complete RSA and RCG training.

These changes have resulted in a substantial increase in the cost of the licence issued by the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) and the need for a NSW Photo ID Competency Card.

The following steps must now be completed by everyone wishing to obtain a RSA and/or RCG Qualification:

  • Enrol and pay the course fee at your local office of Community College Northern Inland Inc. or online.
  • RSA: $190 inclusive of $70 NSW State Government licence fee.
  • RCG: $135 inclusive of $30 NSW State Government licence fee.
  • On successful completion of the course you will be issued with a Statement of Attainment and a NSW OLGR Interim Certificate. This will allow you to work in licensed premises for the next 60 days while you arrange the Photo ID. You must apply through Australia Post for the Photo ID Licence, otherwise you will not be able to work in licensed premises after the 60 days expire.
  • The Interim Certificate will have a bar code which identifies each individual. If you don’t apply for the Photo ID, the Interim Certificate will remain valid for 5 years but you won’t be able to work in the liquor industry.
  • The Interim Certificate and 100 points of ID are required to obtain the Photo ID Licence from Australia Post.
  • The College has no responsibility for the Photo ID. Each person is responsible for their own and will need to take the Interim Certificate and their 100 points of identity to Australia Post within 60 days of the training course.
  • As at 22nd August the only Post Offices in this region with the equipment are located in Tamworth, Armidale and Moree. Work is being done to extend the number of Post Offices able to process the Photo ID Licence.
  • If your Interim Certificate expires and you have not applied for the Photo ID Licence you will not be able to work in licensed premises.
  • Your Photo ID Licence will need to be renewed every five (5) years if you wish to remain working in the liquor/gaming industry.
  • The first group of RSA and RCG paper certificates to expire are those issued prior to 1 January 2001 which will no longer be valid from 1 July 2012. Holders of these certificates who are still working in the industry need to complete an RSA or RCG course with an approved training organisation and obtain their photo competency card (or interim certificate) by 30 June 2012.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the OLGR website.